Top 3 ways to stay healthy
- March 11, 2020
- Posted by: Kalina Ilarionova
- Category: TFS News
Staying healthy is what we all aim for, but it can be a challenging task, as making healthy choices is not always easy. If you are ready to change for the better, however, these small steps can help you stay on track with your diet, exercise and sleep goals!
Good balanced diet
Eating a healthy, balanced diet is key when it comes to maintaining good health and can really improve the way you feel throughout the day.
Here are some tips on what to incorporate into your diet, suggested by the NHS.
- Eat at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables every day (5 a Day). Fruits are a good source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and should make up just over a third of the food you eat each day.
- Drink plenty of fluids. The minimum is around 6-8 glasses of water per day.
- Avoid eating too much saturated fat, as it can increase the amount of cholesterol in the blood, which increases your risk of developing heart disease. (eat fibre instead)
- Incorporate good sources of protein, as it is essential for the body to grow and repair itself
Exercise and physical activity are great ways to feel better, boost your health and have fun. Adults should do some type of physical activity every day. Here are some examples on how to keep active:
- Moderate intensity activities can significantly improve your health, if done regularly. These include brisk walking, riding a bike or swimming.
- Yoga is suitable for all ability levels from beginners to advanced
- Take up running – if you’re just starting out, try NHS popular Couch to 5K running plan
- If you’re not sure what activities you’d like, find out which sport or activity you’re best suited to using the BBC’s ‘Which sport are you made for?’ tool.
- Reduce time spent sitting or lying down and break up long periods of not moving with some activity
Sleep also plays a vital role in good health and well-being. Getting enough quality sleep at the right times can help protect your mental health, physical health, quality of life, and safety. It can also improve daytime performance, concentration and productivity and even improve your immune function. Here are some tips on how to improve your sleeping habits:
- Establish a relaxing bedtime routine
- Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing
- Stick to a sleep schedule of the same bedtime and wake up time, even on the weekends
- Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening
TFS Sickness Benefit Plan – Income protection that gives you a peace of mind
When it comes to our health, however, no one knows what is around the corner. And if you are unfortunate enough to get sick and be off work, this could significantly reduce what you earn.
TFS offers a straightforward Sickness Plan that will pay you a weekly sum if you are off work sick for more than a week and even give you money back if you don’t claim.
Find out more about our Sickness Benefit Plan here.