Health Cash Plans: FAQ

How do I apply for a Health Cash Plan?

You can apply online, download an application form from our website or contact the Membership team on 020 7833 2616 and they will assist you with your application.

Who can apply for the Health Cash Plan?

If you are in good health at the time of the original application, you are a UK resident, under the age of 60 and work for an employer who provides or is associated with the provision of passenger transport or logistics facilities.

Can anyone apply?

You are eligible to apply if you are aged 18 or over and under 60. Your Plan will cease on your 65th birthday.

Can I change the level of my cover after I have joined?

Yes, you can change your level of cover once a year (beginning from the start date of your Plan). If you decide to upgrade it however, you will be subject to the qualifying periods before making a claim.

Can I cancel the plan if I change my mind?

You can cancel at any time, and if you do so within 30 days of your Plan’s start date, you will receive a full refund of your premiums.

Do I need a medical examination to join?

You do not need to undergo a medical to join the TFS Health Cash Plan.

Are benefits taxable?

Benefits are paid Tax-Free (under current legislation).

How do I receive my money?

We pay you directly into your bank account.

Is my premium higher if I’m older?

No, everybody pays the same for each level of cover, regardless of their age.

How do I pay my premiums?

You can choose to either pay monthly by direct debit or weekly through a payroll deduction operated by your employer.

When can I start claiming?

A 13 week qualifying period applies to all benefits before a claim can be made, which starts from the date of your first premium payment. Birth / Adoption related claims are subject to a 10 month qualifying period.

I have a pre-existing medical condition – is that covered?

Pre-existing conditions are covered after a 12 month qualifying period, excluding chronic conditions requiring ongoing treatment. Please refer to the Plan Terms snd Conditions document.

Can I cover my children too?

Yes, simply add their details on the application form. Up to four of your children (below the age of 18 and living with you) are covered for certain benefits at no additional cost and share the maximum cashback level with you.

Can I claim for treatments or services received outside of the UK?

No. We will only accept claims for treatments or services that you have received in the UK.

How do I make a claim?

Simply call our office on 020 7833 2616 and the Member Services team will send you a claim form or click here to download a claim form.

Can I continue with my Policy if I change employment?

You may be able to continue with your policy but you will need to let us know before you change employment. Click here for Payroll Deduction mandate form or click here for Direct Debit Instruction form.

Do I need to tell you if I change my address?

Yes, so that we can continue to contact you in respect of your Policy. Click here to email us your new address.


  • You will NOT be eligible to claim any of TFS’ Discretionary Benefits if you do not have any other Plans with us.
  • If you stop paying your contributions your benefits will stop.
  • If you cancel your Plan within 30 days of your Plan starting, you will receive a full refund of any contributions paid. If you cancel after 30 days you will not receive any money back.



Cancellation Rights

After the proposal is accepted you will receive a Notice of your right to cancel. You will then have 30 days in which you can change your mind. If you cancel within this 30 day period you will receive a full refund of any contributions paid.


If the Plan is maintained in full force until death or maturity the benefits payable are currently free of all UK income and capital gains taxes. In addition, the fund in which contributions are invested is tax exempt and thus free from taxes on income and capital gains, with the exception of tax deducted from dividends on shares the Society invests in.


In any legal disputes, the law of England and Wales will apply.

Complaints procedure

If you have a complaint, feel you have been treated unfairly or are not satisfied with any aspect of the Society, its products or services please contact us at the address below. If the complaint is not dealt with to your satisfaction you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR (Telephone 0800 023 4567). Following this complaint procedure does not affect your rights to take legal action.


If the Transport Friendly Society is unable to meet its liabilities, compensation may be payable by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Further information on the scheme is available from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme on 020 7892 7300 or at


The TFS is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Registered and incorporated under the Friendly Societies Act 1992, register number 434F.

When you take out a Plan with TFS you become a Member of the Society and are subject to its rules, a copy of which is available on request.

Registered office:

Transport Friendly Society Limited
3rd Floor, Derbyshire House
St Chad’s Street

T: 020 7833 2616
F: 020 7833 4426

Please Note

These notes are based on the Society’s understanding of current law and Inland Revenue practice, which may be subject to change and provide a guide to the key features of the product. Full details are contained in the Policy Schedule and Terms and Conditions.  This Plan is a legally binding contract between you and the Transport Friendly Society Limited.

Last Updated: February 2024